To stay healthy, we have a variety of food to eat. We are sensible in choosing what to eat and when to eat. But unfortunately, you might find it hard to accept that many food items harm our pets, particularly dogs.
Being a pet owner, taking care of your dog is your foremost responsibility. Along with giving him healthy food, ensure he is not consuming something wrong. Sometimes, your favourite food like avocado can be good for your dog but not every time.
So, are you curious to know what food items are harmful to your puppy? Let us guide you completely in this regard.
Here is a list of numerous food items that you should never allow your dog to eat:
Harmful Foods for Dogs
Each part of the avocado contains a substance known as persin. It is present in seeds, leaves, and bark. This substance is not harmful to those humans that are not allergic. But when it comes to dogs, a large amount of avocado can be toxic. Overconsumption of avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Besides, the seeds of this fruit can obstruct the dog’s intestines and stomach and can be fatal. It’s better to keep your dog away from the plants if you have some avocados grown in the garden.
Many of us like chocolate, but what about our dogs? Methylxanthines, a toxic substance in chocolate, act as a stimulant and can stop dogs’ metabolic processes. Also, theobromine, another toxic substance, is present in all types of chocolate, including white chocolate.
Consuming a small amount of chocolate, particularly dark chocolate, leads to vomiting and diarrhea. However, its overconsumption can cause seizures, irregular heart function, and even death.
Onions And Garlic
All forms of onions and garlic, either powdered, raw, or cooked, can cause anemia in dogs. They are responsible for destroying the red blood cells of your furry friend. Even a small amount of onion powder found in baby food can do this harm. However, consuming a large amount regularly can result in poisoning.
If your dog suffers from anaemia, you can look for various symptoms like vomiting, weakness, dullness, and shortness of breath. Besides, your dog’s lack of interest in food is a symptom you shouldn’t ignore.
Grapes and Raisins
Raisins are found in numerous foods like cakes, biscuits, and cereals. Well, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, but there is no scientific evidence.
Even their tiny amounts can cause illness in dogs. If your dog is doing repeated vomiting, then it’s dangerous. He might seem allergic and depressed in a short time. So, keeping them out of your dog’s reach is better.
Foods containing macadamia nuts can be pretty fatal for dogs. These nuts themselves can cause harm. Consuming six or even fewer roasted or raw macadamia nuts can make your dog ill.
These nut poisoning can cause various symptoms, including vomiting, muscle tremors, weakness, rapid heartbeat, or high body temperature. Unfortunately, if your dog has eaten chocolate along with these nuts, he might die.
Tea, Coffee, and other Caffeine
Caffeine is a stimulant, and its high amount is quite harmful to dogs. Also, there is no antidote. Watch out for the symptoms of caffeine poisoning like rapid breathing, restlessness, muscle tremors, fits, and bleeding.
Caffeine is also present in colas, chocolate, cocoa, and stimulant drinks like Red Bull. Besides, some cold medicines and painkillers also contain caffeine.
If consumed raw, it can rise and ferment in your pet’s stomach. Alcohol poisoning can occur because of fermentation. Also, the dough rising can stretch your dog’s stomach, which can be painful. So, avoid giving your pup the leftover dough of your pizza, as it’s not good.
Avoid sharing any salty food such as chips or pretzels with your dog. An excessive amount of salt can cause dehydration, urination, and sodium poisoning in your pet. Symptoms of salt poisoning are depression, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, high temperature, seizures, and even death.
Dairy products, including milk, can cause digestive problems and diarrhea in dogs. They also trigger food allergies in them, which might cause itching. Milk contains sugar and fatty acids that are difficult for dogs to digest because they lack enzymes.
Sugary Fruits and Drinks
Too much sugar is neither suitable for humans nor good for dogs. Overconsumption of sugar includes diabetes, obesity, as well as dental problems.
Candy and Gum
An artificial sweetener like xylitol is present in candy, gum, toothpaste, and some diet foods. Xylitol can elevate the insulin level in the dog’s body.
As a result, his sugar level drops, leading to liver failure. Vomiting, lethargy, and loss of coordination can be observed as early symptoms. Eventually, seizures can occur in dogs. Your dog can experience liver failure in no time.
Bones and Fat Trimmings
Now, what about fat trimmings and bones? Fat trimmed from meat, either cooked or uncooked, can result in pancreatitis in dogs. Giving bones to dogs might cause choking in them. Besides, these bones can splinter and might cause obstruction or lacerations of your puppy’s digestive system.
Feeding raw eggs to dogs might cause the following problems. They can cause food poisoning because of bacteria like Salmonella or E.coli. Moreover, the enzyme found in raw eggs can inhibit the absorption of vitamin B. Raw eggs are given for a long time can cause skin problems and affect your dog’s coat.
Raw Meat And Fish
Food poisoning can also occur because of bacteria in raw meat and fish, like raw eggs. Further, parasites are also present in numerous fish like trout, salmon, and shad. These parasites can cause fish disease, also called salmon poisoning disease. Initial symptoms include vomiting, fever, or big lymph nodes. It would be best to cook the fish properly to kill the parasites.
Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums
Well, these fruits have seeds and pits, which is quite problematic. In dogs, persimmon seeds can cause inflammation of the small intestine. In addition, intestinal obstruction is also a common problem that can occur.
However, obstruction can also occur if your dog consumes the pit from a peach or plum. Also, cyanide found in peach and plum pits is hazardous for dogs and humans. But the thing is that humans are sensible not to eat them, while dogs are not.
Corn On the Cob
It can be fatal if your dog has eaten corn on the cob. Dogs can digest the corn; however, the cob might cause blockage in your pet’s intestine. Therefore, don’t opt for such options that harm your dog.
Beer, liquor, wine, or food containing alcohol are unsuitable for your puppy. Just like humans, alcohol can affect the dog’s liver as well as the brain.
But less consumption can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma, and even death. Although, the smaller the dog, the greater the effect.
Dogs can also suffer from poisoning because of the reaction to drugs prescribed for humans. It’s important to keep medicines out of your dog’s reach, just like you do for your children.
Also, avoid giving your dog medicines without a prescription from the vet. The most common pain relievers and cold medicines are acetaminophen and ibuprofen. However, they can be lethal for dogs.
What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Any Of These?
As discussed above, even a small amount of these items can be fatal for your dog. So, to remain on the safe side, it’s better first to keep them out of your dog’s reach. But if your dog has consumed these food items, you must act immediately and contact your vet immediately.
What Can Dogs Eat?
It’s recommended to ask your vet first about a well-balanced diet for your dog. On the other hand, you can give human food items to dogs as a treat and only a small amount. But make sure these food items are correctly cooked, pure, and don’t contain any seasoning. Here are some excellent alternatives that you can give to your dog:
- Lean Meats
- Some Fresh Fruits (bananas, oranges, apples, watermelon)
- Some Vegetables (Cucumber, green beans, carrot sticks)
- Cooked White Rice and Pasta
To sum up, there is a list of food items that are not good for your dog, even in small quantities. So, it’s suggested to keep your dog away from them. Being a pet owner, your pet’s health is your topmost priority.
You can consult your vet regarding what to feed your dog. If your dog has mistakenly eaten any of these human foods, you must rush to your vet, as it’s a bitter truth that your dog can die after consuming a small amount of such food.
Leave a Reply